Just a Snip – against genital mutilation aka circumcision

• AN INTACT BODY IS A HUMAN RIGHT – REGARDLESS OF GENDER, CULTURE OR PARENTS RELIGION
    http://justasnip.wordpress.com…-infant-circumcision-ric/

Citation

In my undergraduate studies in psychology I became very close with one of my mentors, now my closest and most trusted friend. Ours was, and still is, a relationship where we’re safe to discuss childhood experiences, and feelings of vulnerability, grief, and loss. It was during one of these talks that I brought up my feelings of circumcision. I explained how I was privately grieving my loss, and how this violent act was done to me without my consent. I experienced it as a form of rape. She listened closely as I talked about these feelings of powerlessness when I started to go into what I can only call a state of shock. I know that I stopped talking. I remember her asking: “Rick, what are you feeling now?” I went pale and started shaking. She said she could see the terror in my eyes. “I don’t know what’s happening,” I told her. ”I don’t’ have words for this. My hips hurt, like they’re being crushed, and my elbows ache, throbbing with my heartbeat, and my groin…it’s….burning. Stinging.” My heart was racing. I felt dizzy. I wanted to run away, but felt as if I couldn’t move. I was re-experiencing some trauma, an old trauma–a memory of something, my circumcision? We were discussing my feelings of loss and powerlessness when this started. We talked about what we had just witnessed and I decided to learn more about it. I was grateful that my friend was with me.